Monday, October 5, 2015

Commit your LDS seminary students to read the Old Testament or New Teatament by teaching them about the Jewish holiday of Simchat Torah



Since we are studying the Old Testament this year in my seminary class I am trying to teach them a little about the Jewish traditions.  I have to admit that I know very little about these traditions, but I have enjoyed learning about the Jewish culture. 




Here is a very simplified version of what I have found out about Simchat Torah:

Every year the Jews end their annual reading of the Torah on Simchat Torah.  They remove the Torah (which are three scrolls) from the ark and everyone dances and sings in a circle to celebrate the Torah. Then they begin their next annual reading of the Torah. 

To read more about it go here: https://www.hebcal.com/holidays/simchat-torah

At the beginning of class I had these videos going:

Get Up for Simchat Torah - Roar Parody


The Maccabeats - Book of Good Life


Simchat Torah Dancing With the Scrolls



I used the opportunity to get my students to recommit to reading the Old Testament.  I gave them each a copy of the Torah handout above to use to write their commitment.  Then they glued them into their journals.


To see all of my seminary ideas click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment